Debt Collection in
- Effortlessly start your case within 2 minutes
- Assistance in the pre-legal phase or Ovršni postupak, Sudski postupak and Blokada računa in the judicial phase
- Specialists for small, medium, and large enterprises
- Debt collection in Zagreb, Porec or Rijeka? 95% success rate throughout Croatia
- No Cure No Pay debt collection
When dealing with debt collection in Croatia, you can count on Bierens to act swiftly and efficiently against your debtor. With more resources than a regular debt collection agency in Croatia, our experts can help overcome the language, cultural and legal differences that arise when dealing with Croatian debtors. Our specialists always start in the extrajudicial phase on a No Cure No Pay basis. Should legal action be necessary, we can help initiate the Ovršni postupak, Sudski postupak or Blokada računa. For successful debt collection in Croatia, find out what our experts can do for you and recover your debt.
Debt collection in Croatia explained in 7 steps
- Step 1: You can easily upload your claim here. All you have to do is enter your details, your debtor’s details and information regarding your debt collection case in Croatia.
- Step 2: Your caseworker will send your Croatian debtor a demand letter. This will be written in Croatian and customised according to your case.
- Step 3: We start our investigation by checking international credit reports and local databases. While it helps us understand why the invoice was not paid, it also helps us define our strategy to solve your debt collection case in Croatia more efficiently.
- Step 4: Your caseworker will reach out to you to discuss the approach you wish to have. We adjust our strategy accordingly and you can track the status of the case 24/7 through our online portal.
- Step 5:If your Croatian debtor fails to respond to the demand letter, then we will contact your debtor by phone and in writing. By directly contacting your Croatian debtor, we ensure to avoid any miscommunication.
- Step 6: In some cases, we can also have your debtor visited by debt collectors. With our contacts and private detectives across Croatia, we can further investigate your debtor.
- Step 7: 95% of our cases are solved in the extrajudicial phase without court intervention. If your debtor refuses to pay or disputes the claim, we can continue in the legal phase in consultation with you. Before doing so, we extensively discuss your options and costs.
International experts for debt collection in Croatia
With a team of more than 115+ experts in international recovery, our lawyers can tell you everything you need to know about debt collection in Croatia. With each specialising in different countries and industries, our lawyers can tell you everything you need to know in both the extrajudicial and judicial phases. Find out more about our international team here.
Free advice from the best debt collection specialists
Debt collection costs: No Cure No Pay debt collection in Croatia
When solving your debt collection in Croatia, we aim to recover your debt without court intervention. We start on a No Cure No Pay basis, whereby we charge €165,- for administrative costs. We aim to collect the interest and costs from your debtor; however, this differs per case. With more resources than regular debt collection agencies in Croatia you can expect the following:
- Personal contact with your caseworker
- Personal contact with your Croatian debtor by phone and in writing
- Customised strategy according to your case
- Access to the largest national and international B2B debt collection databases
- Real knowledge of local business cultures and payment behaviours
- Knowledge of national and international judicial procedures
- Honest advice if legal action is necessary
If legal action is required, then we move to an hourly or fixed fee. We will only do so in consultation with you. You can view our fees here.
Debt collection laws in Croatia
Debt collection laws in Croatia may differ compared to the regulations in your country. Depending on complexity of your case, the following debt collection procedures can be initiated in Croatia:
Ovršni postupak: Compulsory order proceedings
When initiating the Ovršni postupak, the court or notary can order the debtor to pay. When following compulsory order proceedings, the enforcement order is issued based on the nature of the invoice, the court’s verdict and whether or not mediation was used to settle the claim.
Sudski postupak: Ordinary civil proceedings
If the claim is disputed, then we can initiate civil proceedings against the debtor (“Tužba”). The debtor will have fifteen days to respond to this claim, while both parties will have to present their views in court. In some cases, the judge reaches a verdict immediately, while in others a hearing is scheduled. Depending on the complexity, the lawyer will determine whether follow-up proceedings are necessary.
Blokada računa: Freezing your debtor’s bank accounts
If your claim is based on an existing writ of summons ("Zahtjev za izravnu naplatu") that has not been collected, then the financial authority of Croatia can freeze the debtor's bank accounts until the payment is made. After your debt has been collected, the Financial Authority will instruct the bank to lift the blockage.
International debt collection laws in Croatia
Regardless of where you and your debtor are located, our experts can help creditors with debt collection in Croatia. If you and your debtor are both nationals of any member state of the European Union, the European Small Claims and European Order for Payment procedures are two legal possibilities that we can initiate on your behalf. Specific conditions apply, which is why it is best to contact our lawyers.
Debt collection enforcement in Croatia
Once our lawyers have received a judgement against your Croatian debtor, the judgement will still have to be enforced. Under EU law, judgements obtained in an EU Member State are recognized in other EU countries as well. For the execution of a judgment from your country in Croatia, your court will issue a certificate. This is then sent to the bailiff in Croatia together with the judgment. The bailiff can then proceed to ensure that the debt collection judgement is enforced in Croatia.
Limitation period in Croatia
An outstanding invoice cannot be collected forever. Once an invoice becomes time-barred, you cannot recover the unpaid amount through court intervention. That’s why it is important to act on time. With different limitation periods across different countries, our lawyers can tell you more.
Why hire Bierens rather than a regular debt collection agency in Croatia?
- Highest collection rate throughout Croatia
- Extensive measures to recover your debt in the extrajudicial and judicial phase
- No Cure No Pay debt collection in Croatia
- Immediate action after uploading your claim
- 24/7 tracking of your case in our online portal
“Did you know that when litigating against foreign debtors, you should consider the competent court and applicable law?”
Start your debt collection in Croatia today
Start your debt collection case in Croatia today! While our international debt collection team gets started on your case, you can resume your regular business operations. Upload your case for immediate action or contact our experts today.