Debt collection procedure
The duration of legal proceedings depend on a number of factors:
- Which legal proceedings are initiated: for example, in some countries, initiating a winding-up petition can be processed by the court within four weeks, while a standard summons proceedings can last between six to twelve months. The duration can depend on the type of legal procedure that is initiated in a country.
- In which country are the proceedings initiated: some legal proceedings tend to move relatively fast in one country compared to other European countries.
- Court availability: for court hearings, judges and staff will have to be available.
- The complexity of the case: if the case is complex, legal proceedings may take between six to twelve months. After a court has reached a verdict, both parties also have the option to appeal, which can delay the process further.
The costs for legal proceedings are often composed of two sections. These include:
- Court fees: these costs are paid when initiating legal proceedings.
- Legal fees of the lawyer: for legal proceedings, we work on an hourly or fixed fee that will be discussed with you in advance.
Questions from debtors
Get your free consultation with our experts
Do you have a question for one of our experts? Feel free to give us a call or fill in the contact form and we will contact you as soon as possible.