How does international debt collection work?
Are you encountering foreign debtors who either pay their invoices too late or refuse to pay at all? Collecting outstanding invoices may not always be as straight forward. With various international debt collection laws and procedures, international debt collection can be a complicated matter. Our specialists explain how international debt collection works and what you may expect after transferring your case.
Contacting your foreign debtor
Once you have transferred your case, your caseworker will immediately get to work. Our debt collection specialists and lawyers contact your international debtor in their native language by phone and post. By doing so, we eliminate language and cultural barriers. Our experience has also proven that legal documents are not lost in translation either. This way we can retrieve your unpaid invoices as soon and efficiently as possible. As we do not involve the court in this stage, this is known as the pre-legal international debt collection phase.
Advantages of hiring Bierens Debt Recovery Lawyers
- We contact your debtor by phone, post, and e-mail
- We catch your debtor off guard, meaning there is no time for your debtor to make excuses
- Our specialists effectively and efficiently deal with your debtor in a timely manner
- We talk to your debtor in their own language, making your debtor more cooperative
- We have contacts with bailiffs and private detectives
- Customised approach for your debt collection case
- Access to the largest debt collection databases
- Experience in the local business culture
- Your debtor is dealing with a third party who is emotionally detached from the case
- You can maintain your business relationship with your customer
- We can initiate legal proceedings on your behalf
- We carry legal authority making your debtor more inclined to pay.
“Bierens and its team of international lawyers understand the needs of companies and can adapt to any situation.”
Lea Macedoni / Alessi
Legal proceedings against your foreign debtor
If your debtor fails to respond or disputes the claim, then we can go to court in consultation with you. Before doing so, we conduct a feasibly study to assess your debtor’s financial situation. This allows us to determine if legal proceedings are applicable in solving your international debt collection case.
Your assigned debt collection lawyer will also have to consider the competent court and the applicable law. Based on these two factors, we will determine the best course of action in solving your payment dispute.
International debt collection procedure
- Upload your debt recovery case online
- We will process your case immediately
- We will immediately send a payment reminder to your debtor
- Together we will determine our approach
- View your case 24/7 through our online portal
- Questions? Your contact is always available to assist you
- Your unpaid invoice will be paid
International debt collection laws
If legal proceedings are necessary, it is important to note that rules and regulations concerning debt collection are different in each country. Each country has its own set of debt collection laws while the duration of legal proceedings may also differ. Our native debt collection specialist and lawyers have the experience and knowledge on which procedures are most applicable for your international debt collection:
Debt collection in the UK
If you are looking for a debt collection agency in the UK, our specialists can help you initiate the following procedures in the UK:
- Small Claim procedure: for smaller outstanding claims of a value up to £10,000
- Fast Track procedure: for claims of a value between £10,000 and £25,000
- Multi Track procedure: for more complicated claims with a value of £25,000 or more
- Winding Up Petition: also knows as a bankruptcy petition.
Debt collection in Europe
Each European member state has its own debt collection laws. You can find a complete overview here by selecting the country. Nonetheless, for the European Union, it is important that trade amongst EU member states is stimulated. Therefore, in addition to national debt collection laws that vary in each European country, there are two additional procedures that are recognised in EU member states. These include:
- Small Claims Procedure in Europe: claims up to €5,000
- European Order for Payment: for undisputed claims.
Our international debt collection lawyers are well versed in both procedures and can initiate them on your behalf.
Debt collection Globally
If you have a foreign debtor outside Europe, then our debt collection specialists can help you too. You can find a complete overview here.
How can we help you?
- Amicable collection
- Judicial collection
- Small Claims Procedure
- The European order for payment procedure
- Executing judgements
- Debt collection prevention
- Advice on contracts and general terms and conditions
- Legal support with bankruptcy cases
No Win No Fee International debt collection
During the international pre-legal phase, we work based on No Win No Fee. You only pay €165 for administrative costs. Once we have successfully retrieved your invoice, we try to recover this fee from your debtor as much as possible.
International debt collection fees
If legal proceedings are necessary, then other rates may apply. Our international debt collection fees are either based on a full or partial fixed hourly fee. Your debt collection lawyer will always first discuss the costs in advance before initiating legal proceedings on your behalf.
Our international debt collection specialists
With native in-house debt collection lawyers with knowledge and experience in international debt collection laws and procedures, we are the leading experts in international debt collection. We will always ensure that the most suitable specialists are assigned to your case. Contact us today for more information.